Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The purpose of this.

This is my third stab at creating and -- most importantly -- maintaining a blog. In the past, I felt incredibly pretentious whenever I made my musings public. Another difficulty I found about blogging constantly is finding material to write about daily. Let's face it, not all of us are lucky enough to lead an extraordinary life, one which needs to be constantly written about and published for the world to see.

This time is different though. This time, I'll be writing about knitting and because it seems that I knit all the time, I hope there'll be plenty to write about.

Starting this blog today also makes a lot of sense. I don't believe it's a silly coincidence that a year ago I started knitting again. Twelve months later, you'd think I would have so many projects completed, but the truth is that I frogged so many things since then that I lost count of how many skeins of yarn I ruined. I shot myself in the foot many times, committing to projects I had no business even casting on for.

My mother and grandmother in law were very supportive when I began knitting. They gave me so much yarn, which, unfortunately, ended up frogged later on. Most of the time when I unraveled a project, in haste and frustration, the pile of yarn was so messy that all I could do was throw it away. Let's hope they can forgive my foolishness.

Since then, I learned a thing or two about all the other aspects of knitting that are almost as important as acquiring technique knowledge, some of which I could only gain whenever I had an opportunity to see my grandmother in law, which did not happen a whole lot. Thankfully, there were people figuring these things out -- particularly board and loom knitting -- while others were generous enough to impart their knowledge with the newbies. The online knitting groups I joined quickly taught me about things I had a much harder time figuring out alone.


Today I'm happy to say that I've learned to use a knitting board, a round loom and a pair of knitting needles. Of course I could never claim to be well versed in all of them. Instead, I know a little of each. And so we arrive at this blog; it'll be about the little I know about boards, looms and needles and while I'm not much of a wordsmith, I'll try my best to be very clear and concise when talking about knitting. It's the least I can do in hopes to continue the tradition of sharing stablished in the online knitting community.

No comments: