Friday, February 15, 2008

Fir Cone Scarf.




After knitting for a bit over a year, I finally made myself a scarf! My first cabled scarf was a gift to my sil. Next scarf was a feather and fan scarf which I gave to my gmil for X-mas. Not to mention the board knit ones I've made for several in-laws throughout last year, when I was learning news stitches.

Finally it seemed that I had the time - and yarn - to make something for myself. I chose lace, but it still had to have some substance to keep my neck warm, so Fir Cone was the solution. Another reason for picking this traditional lace pattern is the fact that I'm lazy and prefer mindless knitting to stressing out with chart memorization. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't have the stamina, though I wish I had for certain patterns.

There's nothing to this scarf and if you know how to knit and purl and a couple decreases, you'll be set.

It was knit with Joann's Kashmira. A full skein - practically - and in green because I can see the usefulness of this accessory for St. Patrick's day. Feel free to use black, or any of the other 4 or 5 extra colors they have. Incidentally, I might purchase a cream skein of it in the future and try to dye it, because the yearn is great, just doesn't have a lot of variety in terms of colors.

The Scarf begins with a long tail cast on as usual. after 4 stitches are cast on, place marker and follow up casting on 21 more stitches, place marker again, cast on the last 4 stitches.

The 4 initial stitches will form your right garter boarder, while the 21 stitches in the middle are used for a single repeat of the Fir Cone pattern and lastly, 4 stitches will complete the left garter boarder.

Knit two ridges in garter stitch (knit all rows for 4 rows) and start Fir cone Pattern as follows:

Row 1 (and all wrong side rows): Purl across, with the exception of the first and last 4 stitches, which will be knit to form your garter boarder.

(RS) Rows 2, 4, 6, AND 8: (knit the first 4 stitches for the garter board, slip marker) K1, yo, k3, sk2p(slip 1 stitch, knit the next 2 stitches together, pass slipped stitch over them), k3, yo, k1, yo, k3, sk2p, k3, yo, k1. Slip marker and knit the last 4 stitches.

(RS) Rows 10, 12, 14, 16: K2tog, K3, yo, K1, yo, K3, sk2p, k3, yo, k1, yo, k3, ssk. Don't forget to proceed the same way as before to form the right and left garter boarders.

It's pretty mindless and quick to memorize. You'll need a lot of stamina to knit up a whole skein in this fashion, but I'd not begrudge you if you decided to end it much sooner. Just remember to leave enough yarn to knit 2 ridges of garter stitch at the end (in order to match the beginning) and remove it with your preferred method. I decided to use a sewn cast-off just to experiment and I must say that I rather like it.