Monday, January 14, 2008

Doll Half Loomed Set

American Girls Dolls were not popular where I grew up, so when my mother in law mentioned them, I had to ask 'what are they?'. It turns out they make pretty good models for my knitting experiments.

This one was left behind by my sister in law when she moved and she came barely clothed. Her thin cotton dress can hardly keep her warm in our place. Partially because it gets really cold here during the winter - more than other homes I frequent - and partially because I'm too cheap to turn the heater on regularly.

So I began knitting her some warm clothes. Nothing fancy, but if you want to know how I did it, here's the recipe:

Hat:

(Materials):
  • 20 yards (aprox.) worsted weight yarn
  • Blue KK Round Loom (or any 24 pegs loom)
Instructions:
  • Cast on the entire loom. You'll be working on the round.
  • Knit 5 rows of garter stitch (alternate rounds knitting and purling until you reach round 10)
  • Knit 14 rounds in stockinette or twisted stockinette
  • Thread a blunt needle with matching yarn and remove the stitches from the pegs with the gathered method.
  • Turn hat inside out and pull your thread and tie a neat bow.
The Scarf is knit on a knitting board, using 5 pegs and in simple stockinette. I knit for 40 rows, removed and placed some fringe to add a little interest.

You'll notice that everything is kept really simple because the yarn I had was already interesting enough. I tend to choose between colour or texture when I make something and since the yarn was the variegated/tweedy kind, I decided to eliminate texture and fancy stitch patterns.

The sweater is a proportion yoked sweater from Knitting Without Tears and knit with a 16' circular and on dpns.

I'll be attempting to create some trousers for this poor thing whenever I have more yarn.