Thursday, January 10, 2008

Frankenberry Jumper


I'm beginning to question the viability of recycling sweaters. Working with reused cotton was a pain. However, it wasn't just the yarn that created a bit of a problem for this creation.

Not enough pegs on the looms was bad, not to mention that I was a bit off with gauge and proportion calculations. I think the idea behind it is still valid.

Here are my vague notes and directions to attempt knitting this monstrosity:

Cast on the KK round blue loom and knit 10 rows in garter stitch. Switch to stockinette and knit for 40 more rows. Repeat this process for the other sleeve.

For the body, you'll cast on the yellow KK loom and knit for the same amount of rows. Now the fun begins.

Place 4 stitches of each of your 3 tubes onto some scrap yarn and transfer the remaining stitches from the looms onto a 24/20 or even better: 16" circular needles. I used a size 8, which was the closest to the gauge on the looms for me.

Join the sleeves and body and knit 4 rounds of stockinette. Begin decreasing 2 stitches at the beginning and end of the sleeves every other round.

I cast off when I got down to 32 stitches or so, because I was afraid that if I kept decreasing I might end up with too small of a collar opening.

I know these directions are so vague, but I just wanted to share how this experiment went. I'm sure that if I keep tinkering with it I'll find a way to create a baby yoked sweater sooner or later.